Project Sewn – Neon Staple Dress

It’s week 3 over at Project Sewn which means I’m up although it is hard to follow Sara’s win last week (many thanks to everyone who came out to vote!)!  This weeks theme is 80’s week which initially did not appeal to me at all.  Although I was born in the 80’s I was a bit young for most of it and had no idea what was going on fashion wise.  But then I remembered this awesome neon fabric I saw the last time I was at Fabricland which led to my modern take on an 80’s fashion trend.  My neon Staple Dress!


I am super happy with how this dress ended up.  The fabric I ended up using is a bright pink crinkle gauze with birds all over it.  This was my first time working with a slippery fabric and cutting it was a pain, but the end product was worth it!


The pattern I used is April Rhodes first pattern, The Staple Dress.  This is such a great pattern for someone new to sewing adult clothes, simple and very forgiving!  Simple shirring around the waist takes if from a shapeless sack into a flattering dress.

IMG_5792 IMG_5788

For my dress I choose to add pockets but still keep the french seams.  I decided to do the high low hem version (apparently this works perfectly for an 80’s theme) which initially I was not too sure about, but I like how it turned out.


For my next dress, and there will be a next for sure, I think I would like the neckline to be a little less wide and I will make sure my shirring ends up a little higher.  Although I like how the dress looks I do think it should cinch in a little bit higher.

Overall, I am really happy with how my very first dress turned out and if you like it make sure you come back Friday and vote for mine!


Follow me on Bloglovin’

Linked up to the following: