So as mentioned on my last post, I have been sewing up a ton of stuff for myself. I wear cardigans to work almost everyday so when Welcome to the Mouse House had a sale a few months ago I snapped up the Julia Cardigan. All of the cardigans that I have seen popping up on blog reader recently have looked cute so I finally decided to make one. I had 2m of black interlock in my stash so I started with that and made a size M with the 3/4 sleeves.
I also used the no hem option for the collar and the sleeves are finished with a cuff which meant I was able to construct the whole thing on my serger. I love when I don’t have to pull out my regular machine! Hemming knits has got to be one of my least favourite things to do.
My measurements technically meant I should have made large, but I find that the medium fits really well. Since I knew I wanted to wear it to work I didn’t want it to be too slouchy and I think this size worked out well.
I found myself getting quite a bit of use out of my first Julia so I decided to make up a second. When looking for fabric I had originally wanted a charcoal gray, but when I couldn’t find any at my local fabric store I decided to go with some colour and used some hot pink interlock. Not a neutral like the gray would have been, but more fun! I would still like to make up the gray one though.
For this one I decided to try making the long sleeved version. My one complaint about the pattern would be that she has you use the same cuff that you used for the 3/4 sleeve version which means the arms are really wide. I did end up cutting off my original cuff and taking the sleeves in a bit. I then added a slightly smaller cuff. Could have been a bit smaller yet, but is much better than the first.
Overall I am really happy with how these turned out and based on how much use they have gotten already I would call them a complete success.
I desperately had a need for a plain white t-shirt so I made up a quick t-shirt using some white jersey and Doe and Deer’s Plantain pattern. I have made one other version previously that I never blogged about (fabric colour is not so flattering so it doesn’t get worn very often) so I knew that the size M fits well. From my previous make I knew that I found the neckline to be a bit low cut so for this one I used a smaller seam allowance when attaching the neckband (3/8 instead of 5/8) which made the band wider and made everything sit a bit higher. Much happier with this neckline.
I really love this pattern! The fit seems to flatter everyone and I see many more in my future. I don’t have a ton of basic t-shirts so there is a definite gap in my wardrobe that this pattern could easily fill.