Back with another make for Project Run and Play. This weeks theme was to make an outfit inspired by a favourite vacation spot. Although we haven’t actually been there yet I choose Disneyland since Steve and I are constantly talking about when we will take the kids there. Currently we are waiting until Daxton is a little bit bigger so he will really be able to enjoy it. Anyways, when I think Disneyland I think of all the characters and how all the little kids like to buy expensive costumes to look like them. Finnley is currently in full on princess mode so I knew I wanted to make her something inspired by one of the Disney Princesses. Although she loves them all I decided to go with Princess Sofia.
I didn’t want to make a big princess gown or anything that was too costumey so I picked the elements that I liked from the original dress and tried to incorporate them into a more wearable casual dress.
For the bodice of the dress I wanted to try and recreate the cap sleeves and the wide neckline. I started with cap sleeve version of the geranium dress, but I extended the bodice to make it sit on Finnley’s waist. I also made the neckline have more of a boatneck shape by using this tutorial. To the back I used pearl snaps for a closure. The bodice sits a bit lower than I would like, but after shortening it three times I was having a hard time convincing myself to remove it from the skirt and try a fourth time. I feel a little bit meh with how it turned out.
The scalloped skirt overlay was a must to make this dress even slightly resemble Princess Sofia’s dress. To make the skirt I used the full width of fabric with a bunch of extra fabric added to the length. I then folded the extra fabric towards the right side and traced scallops on the bottom and sewed around the lines. Finally I trimmed the extra fabric and turned them right side out. In case this makes no sense you can refer to this tutorial for a better idea of what I did. I also used a rectangle for the white underlay but made it less wide so it wouldn’t be as full. Both layers were gathered and sewn to the bodice.
Not so sure this dress scream Princess Sofia, but since that was what I was going for I am going to say success. I do love how the skirt with the overlay looks, but am not completely happy with how my bodice turned out. Thankfully Finnley is happy with it and the fact that it is purple means it should be pretty easy to get her to wear it.
Taking photos of this girl is becoming increasingly difficult and there were a whole lot with this super unimpressed little face.
I did have plans for next weeks theme but they are feeling far more ambitious then I am in the mood for lately so not sure if anything will get finished. I do have the fabric picked out and a definite plan for week 4 so will be back then!