KCW: Plaid Shorts and Muscle Tank

Back so soon with some sewing for the boy!  Daxton was in need of some shorts to finish his summer wardrobe so I have three pairs planned to finish this week for KCW.  First up are a pair of plaid shorts with a muscle tee to wear with it.

IMG_6107

These particular shorts I have had cut out and sitting ready to go for a few weeks now, but KCW finally gave me the push to get them finished.  I used the same pattern that I used for these shorts, The Nowhere pants just shortened.  I gave my husband the job to pick some fabric out for these shorts and he went with this green and plaid flannelette from Fabricland.  I honestly didn`t love the fabric when he picked it but since I am constantly bugging him for input I decided to go with it anyway.  Apparently he has a better eye for fabric than me because I think it made a pretty adorable pair of shorts.

IMG_6104 IMG_6105

The last time I used this pattern I made a size 18months and although the shorts fit and he wears them often they are a bit tight.  So this time I went with the 2T for my 14month old and I am much happier with how they fit him.  Not too much to say about them since I just followed the pattern as is with no modifications other than skipping the back pockets.

IMG_6118

This was my first time working with plaid fabric and even though I spent way more time than I would like to admit they don`t line up perfectly.  Frustrating!

To go with the shorts I made Dax a tank using this pattern.  It was recently on sale for $1 and gave me a perfect excuse to try sewing some knits.

IMG_6114 IMG_6115

This was my second attempt at sewing with knits and it went okay but I am having trouble figuring out which stitch and settings I need to use to get a really good stretch stitch.  My kids have really big heads and the neck on this shirt barely fits over Dax`s head and on my first tank the neck stitches popped.  I ended up just leaving all the edges unfinished and will continue to experiment on some new knit projects until I can figure out what is going to work best.

IMG_6116

Next up are a couple pairs of shorts using Dana`s new pattern.  One is finished and hoping to finish the second pair tonight, so will be back to share those soon!

(Sorry for the less than amazing pictures, trying to photographer a one year old is challenging!)

Elizabeth

Advertisements

The Details Are In The Shorts

So it is week three for Project Run and Play and this weeks theme is “It ‘s All In The Details”.  Originally I had no intention of sewing along but contributing last week ended up being way more fun than I thought it would be.  Since I am so new to sewing and don’t have experience with lots of the little details that can be added like piping or embroidery, I tried to think about what details I love on clothes.  My first thought was buttons, I love buttons!  So I started searching for ideas and found this tutorial for a pair of shorts by none other than Shwin and Shwin that used a pattern that I already had, the Nowwhere Man Pants.  And that led to some adorable shorts for Finnley and Daxton!

IMG_5293 IMG_5357

I decided to use pieces from the original pattern and some of the details from the tutorial, combined with a few of my own ideas to use one pattern to make two different pairs of shorts.  This ended up being a fun project because even though the details that make each pair of shorts different are not immediately obvious, it was my first time modifying a pattern and adding a little bit of myself.

For Dax’s shorts I decided to use some black and white seersucker that I already had in my rapidly growing stash.  When I was shopping for fabric for my Chevron Sweetheart dress, I picked up a fat quarter of this to use for some contrast.  I stuck with the curved pockets from the pattern to show more of the contrast fabric.   I also used the contrast fabric to make button tabs for each leg to “hold up” a cuff.  His shorts also feature a faux fly and an overlapping waistband.  The final detail I added to his shorts was black piping on both the front and back pockets.

IMG_5368 IMG_5374

The one issue I had with Dax’s shorts was that when I sewed in the faux fly I didn’t sew along the original seam, which added extra fabric to the front of the shorts.  Otherwise I am super happy with them!

IMG_5351

For Finnley’s shorts I ended up going with a red stretch poplin with white accents.  After my issues with the faux fly I skipped it on Finnley’s shorts but still added the overlapping waistband.  For the front pockets I went with a straight pocket and added some white button tabs.  For the back pockets I went for a faux pocket by adding some flaps with white top stitching and buttons to hold them down.  I also added some button tabs to the bottom of her shorts and a cuffed hem.

IMG_5324 IMG_5321

The red fabric was picked to match her Lucy top (blogged about here).  Looks adorable but hides some of the little details.

IMG_5433

And one last picture.

IMG_5389

Attempting to get a photo together.

This ended up being a fun project and resulted in some very practical and adorable shorts for my kiddos.  Now I just need to decide what to make next!

Elizabeth