Monster Birthday Party

This past week our little man Dax turned 1!  Not quite sure how that happened so quickly!  To celebrate we threw him a monster themed first birthday party.  I had so much fun planning this one out and getting everything ready.  This is the most crafty I have gotten for a birthday so far and I love how it turned out.  I apologize for the picture heavy post 🙂

My favourite thing that I made for the birthday boy is this custom birthday onsie.  I used a store bought onsie and used freezer paper and acrylic paint mixed with a fabric medium to make it.  I used this tutorial.

IMG_5693

Birthday boy not looking too impressed. He had a cold and was not feeling very good for his birthday

Long before I knew what the theme of Daxton’s birthday was going to be I knew I wanted to make a flag pennant banner using chalk board fabric.  There are a million tutorials out there for pennant banners and the addition I made was I cut out circles of chalk board fabric which I sewed on one side.  For the flags I used fat quarters from Joanns using our colours of red, orange, bright blue, and lime green.  I loved how it turned out and that it can be reused in the future.

IMG_5683 IMG_5684

To go with the colour theme I also made some tissue paper puffs and tissue paper fans.  To go with the monster theme I added paper eyes to the fans to make them look like monsters.  I used this tutorial for the fans.

IMG_5686

I also turned some balloons into monsters by adding some faces to them.

IMG_5681 IMG_5679

I also made Daxton some monster cupcakes.  To make my super simple monster cupcakes I used the grass piping tip to pipe hair onto the cupcakes and then made cakepop eyes to stick out the top.  Out of pure laziness and not wanting to make more cake pops, some of the cupcakes just got eyes and a mouth using black gel icing.

IMG_5719 IMG_5716

Simple party but I love how it all came together!

IMG_5689

And now some photos of the birthday boy enjoying his party!

IMG_5697

Dax supervising Finnley opening his presents

IMG_5698

IMG_5703

More interested in the paper than the toys

IMG_5714

He loved this singing card

IMG_5709

Mmm train tracks!

IMG_5725

First time trying cake

IMG_5735

Think he likes it?

IMG_5741

Getting ready to run

IMG_5732

He kept trying to walk away with his cupcake. There was orange icing everywhere

IMG_5739

Running from mommy and daddy

IMG_5746

Tired after a busy party

IMG_5747

Nap time with papa

Elizabeth

Follow me on Bloglovin’

Movember themed baby gift

So this weekend was party time for soon-to-be Baby Horst!  Of course I wanted to make him something but I didn’t leave enough time for knitting (sad to be such a procrastinator!) so out came the sewing machine!  I have been playing around with block printing a lot lately since seeing madmim’s and paunnet’s awesome shirts so I decided to do something using this technique.  Baby Daddy André is a fan of his impressive Movember ‘stache so, borrowing heavily from paunnet’s moustache T-shirt, I went to town on some plain white Kona cotton!

I used a linoleum block of unknown origin (one that has been collecting dust in my craft box for awhile) and drew on a moustache using a pencil.  I didn’t have anything to mount a stamp on so I did use a thicker linoleum block so that it would function as a stamp on its own.  While it did indeed function beautifully as a stamp, the linoleum itself was very crumbly and did not carve easily!  Live and learn I guess!

Photo 2013-02-14 6 59 09 PM

carving the stamp and testing it out on some craft paper.

Once I had a stamp I was happy with I taped down the white kona cotton I wanted to use and started printing using a water-based black fabric ink.  Was fun!  I simply let the ink dry, heat set it with an iron and sewed it up into a bandana bib.  I used a bamboo fleece as an absorbant centre and then backed it with some black PUL to act as a water barrier (both purchased from this Etsy shop)!  If all goes as planned, in addition to being adorable (a given!), this bib should absorb A LOT of drool while keeping the baby dry!  Finally, I finished these off using KAM snap closures.  In addition to the hand stamped ‘stache bib, I made one using a Michael Miller bicycle print and another using a Lizzy House constellation print.

  Photo 2013-02-16 10 25 57 PM  Photo 2013-02-16 10 26 12 PM

All done!  These were easy, fast and really fun to make!  They were also a hit with Baby Horst’ parents!

Sara

I’m publishing this a little late…  Baby Horst has been born!  And I did find some time for knitting but I’ll save that for a later post!