My Very First Quilt

Hello!  It has been a long while since either Sara or I posted.  No real reason on my part other than the fact that it was nice to just sew and create without having to take pictures and sit down and write about it, but I have finally taken some photos of a few of my projects from the last few months and decided it was time to share.  My big project this summer was to sew my very first quilt.  When my friend Manpreet told me she was expecting her first baby I knew that I wanted to make her something special.  I had been thinking quilt and decided that is would be a good idea when she sent me a pin on pinterest linking to a pillow and quilt combo that she liked.  I think she was specifically asking if I could make her the pillow cover, but I ended up going for a quilt.  She didn’t know what she was having (she has since had an adorable little girl) so the nursery was going to be gender neutral with yellow, gray, and elephants.  We decided on this elephant print and then I just picked fabrics that were yellow and gray to work with her theme.


I used the baby lattice quilt tutorial that I found on Moda Bakeshop.  It seemed like a good beginner quilt to me.  The squares and sashing pieces were easy to cut out and piecing it together was super straight forward.  It took me forever, but that was my own fault.  I found the process of piecing the quilt top to be super tedious and pretty boring so I never got very much done at each sitting and I would often find something else to work on when I knew I should be working on the quilt.  In fact I procrastinated it so much that I was finishing the quilting the night before the baby shower.


All my rows don’t line up quite as perfectly as I would like, but for the my first attempt I am super happy with how the quilt turned out.  Initially I had some trouble with basting the quilt and on my first attempt at sewing a few of the quilting rows I ended up with some pretty big puckers.  That was extremely annoying to take out, but my second attempt worked out much better.


I didn’t take a good picture of the back, but you can see the yellow polka dots peaking out.  I used this Riley Blake flannel for the back which adds a nice layer for coziness for a baby quilt.  I went with a natural batting so that it has that nice crinkly look now that it has been washed.


To go along with the quilt I made a couple of elephant stuffies using this pattern and tutorial.  I was able to use my scraps to make them and I absolutely love how they turned out.  I especially love the little tail!  Plus the pattern was free so total winner in my books.


Couldn’t be happier with how this whole project turned out.  Although I didn’t necessarily love the whole process of quilting I really loved the final result and would really like to make some quilts for my own kids at some point.  Plus now that I made baby 1 a quilt all future babies will also need their own quilt made with love from their Auntie Bitty!