Hey look! My face is actually on the blog instead of my kiddos for the first time in months! It isn’t that I haven’t been sewing for myself (although there hasn’t been a ton), but rather that I have not been loving pictures of myself and have not wanted to share for everyone to see. Time to get over that and I will start by sharing my first Belcarra blouse from Sewaholic. Sorry for the second Belcarra post in as many days, but figured since I participated in the sew along that I should get my version up now rather than later.
This version was meant to be my wearable muslin and thankfully it is extremely wearable! I made it out of some black viscose that I got from my local fabric store. It was my first time working with a somewhat slippery material and to say that it frustrated me would be an understatement. I didn’t think it had shifted that much when cutting, but when I tried to line up the sleeves with the bias cut edge on the body they were off by a ton. It took quite a bit of stretching to get the sleeve to fit, but I managed to make it mostly work. The rest of the shirt lined up with no problems so it was just the bias cut edge that gave me trouble.
I do feel like there is some extra material where the sleeves and body meet, but feel like that might be because of my cutting issues. For this version I made a straight size 10 which fits, but is a bit looser than I wanted. I have already traced and cut out the size 8 pattern pieces for my next version so will give that a try soon! The only change I made to this version was to bring the neckline in a bit. I am very glad I did because even after bringing it in it still slides and shows my bra straps. I plan on bringing it in even more for my next version.
I love the waist shaping that the pattern has. I think it does a great job at keeping the shirt from looking like a tent.
Cutting issues aside, I am really happy with how my first version turned out. This pattern fits perfectly with my style and I can see many more version in the future. In fact I bought some lovely floral rayon for my next, but need to figure out a better way to stabilize my fabric before I cut it out. Thinking I might give some spray starch a try and see if that works.