Recently I was one of the lucky few picked to test Jennifer’s very first pattern, the Matinee Dress! I love testing patterns (and test a lot of them!) but was particularly happy to be picked for this one. It’s adorable! Considering that this was Jennifer’s first pattern, I was incredibly impressed by the quality and am happy to report that she has produced a professional pattern with excellent diagrams and very straight forward and easy to follow instructions.
What initially drew me to this pattern was definitely the plunging back.
The pattern features a bunch of different options so you can easily customize it: cap sleeves, hem band, or you can even make a peplum. Jennifer even adds a section with suggestions for additional modifications you can make to personalize your dress or top, such as adding a ribbon as she did here. For this version of the matinee dress I did make one modification, which was to omit the sash as I thought it would break up the stripes on the front of the dress. However, I did want to keep the button closure so I made two short pieces using the sash dimensions and sewed them to the dress when attaching the bodice to the lining. I love how this feature turned out and I especially love the pop of yellow against the blue and white stripes. Nice splash of sunshine to welcome the spring!
The fit on this dress ended up being excellent, although I have to admit that this was my second version as my original dress was a wee large on Finnley and didn’t do this pattern justice! Thankfully Jennifer added a whole section talking about how you can customize your pattern sizes to get the perfect fit for your child.
This is the original dress that I made for testing which is too big all over and overwhelms my daughter.
The back of the dress gaped and it doesn’t take much to see undies which is not something anyone needs to see!
Fabric choices for this dress are pretty open which gives you endless options to make a more casual dress with quilting cotton or a more formal dress from satin or taffeta. For my second version I used a striped quilting cotton and alternated the direction of the stripes to add visual interest.
Thanks so much for the chance to test your very first pattern, Jennifer and I am super excited to see what you come up with next!
Linked up at: Inspire Us Thursdays