Hawthorn Peplum

Once again we have been silent for far too long! Although I have been sewing I don’t have many finished projects, just a pile of fabric and a list of projects that both just keep on growing. But I finally have a finished project to share using Colette Patterns lovely new pattern, Hawthorn.

IMG_6025

There is currently a sew-along going on for the Hawthorn, but I got a bit excited!  For my first time with this pattern I decided to try version 1, the peplum, although I do have plans to get started on the sleeveless dress for the sew-along soon I hope.  This pattern was the most complicated garment I have attempted to sew so far, but the directions were extremely easy to follow and it came together easier than I expected.  There are definitely some flaws but overall I am happy with final result.

Although it came together relatively easily I did have to make a few changes.  When I made a quick muslin of the bodice I was pretty happy with the fit and didn’t make any changes to the pattern.  Once I actually sewed everything together I wasn’t crazy about the sleeves or the fit around the waist.

photo(5) IMG_6038.

To solve these issues I ended up taking in the sides to make the shirt more fitted and I changed the way the sleeves were finished.  Originally the sleeves were very loose so I removed the bias tape and shortened it by quickly wrapping it around my arm to get a feel for how I would like it to fit.  I then gathered the sleeve and sewed the bias tape back on.

IMG_6041 IMG_6044

Much happier with the result and glad I took the time to make the change.  Actually understanding what changes to make to get my desired fit is definitely a work in progress and I am not 100% happy with how it looks from behind.  There seems to be a bit of extra fabric that bulges out a bit and hopefully I can figure out how to fix that for my dress.

IMG_6040Hopefully one of us will be back later this week with another finished project to share!

Elizabeth

Linked up:
125
Photobucket

Advertisements

25 thoughts on “Hawthorn Peplum

  1. It looks great! Definitely a good idea to make those changes. In fact – you’ve inspired me to maybe also take off the band of my sleeves…

  2. Your top turned out great! The alterations you did made your top perfect! I haven’t pulled the trigger and bought this pattern, but it is definitely tempting!

  3. It came out great. I’m not nearly as fast as you, so I’m still working on my muslin. I’m having the same problem with extra fabric in the back. I think I might try the narrow shoulder adjustment even though I have always considered my shoulder pretty broad.

  4. Pingback: Megan Nielsen Briar Tee | hamiltonchicklets

  5. Pingback: Darling Ranges | hamiltonchicklets

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s