So excited to share my newest project, some shorts for Finnley! This project was a bunch of firsts for me and I love how everything came together.
These shorts are made from Elephants and Elegance Bubble Pocket Shorts pattern and I initially resisted purchasing this pattern, although looking at this cuteness I am not sure why! Would definitely recommend this pattern to anyone with little girls to sew for. The pattern directions were so easy to follow and the construction came together in just one evening. The steps leading up to sewing were a bit more time consuming but totally worth it in the end. I knew that I wanted to make the shorts out of coloured eyelet but my selection was super limited so what I ended up with was some white paisley eyelet. White and a toddler are not a good mix so I decided to try dying my own fabric. What I ended up using was a combination of red and orange dye so that my finished product was something in the peach family. Pretty successful I think! I used white quilting cotton for the inside of the shorts but kept it in the dye for about 10 minutes longer so I would have a darker colour which would be visible through the eyelet. I cut all the pattern pieces out twice, once in the eyelet and once in the cotton and then underlined all the eyelet pieces.
The extra seams down the front and back of the shorts just scream for piping and I decided to try my hand at making my own. I used the same fabric that I used for the underlining to make the piping. So simple to do, but such a great detail.
The pattern calls for a contrasting waistband but I was hoping to just use my underlining. Unfortunately the piping used up the last of my fabric so I ended up using some blue and white chevron scraps I had in my stash from this project. Not my first choice but I do like the contrast with the peach shorts.
And best of all, Finnley loves the shorts and keeps telling me how much she likes the big pockets.
Thanks to the ladies from FrancesSuzanne for Flip this Pattern and giving me one more reason for deciding I needed to purchase this pattern.
Hello again and many apologies for the silence! Life has been a tad hectic, to say the least! But it’s Indie Pattern Month so you’ll be seeing more of us on here in the next couple of weeks! I know, right! So exciting! Well, at least you should all be excited to see what some very fab pattern designers have to offer… Bitty and I keep saying we’re going to take a break from sewalongs and yet we keep coming back for more! They’re just too much fun! Though this one is not exactly a sewalong… more like a month long feature. And as usual, we’re only making what we or our friends and family will get a lot of use out of. I need summer shirts. And to conquer my fear of knits! So first up that fits the bill perfectly is the Sewaholic Renfrew!
This pattern calls for stable knits so it seemed like the perfect place to venture into the world of stretch fabrics. This is a medium weight slub cotton knit that I picked up at the last customer appreciation event at my local Fabricland. I kind of love it and wish I had bought it in more colours while it was 50% off! Oh well… I (obviously!) opted for the cowl neck version (C) with 3/4 length sleeves. Not too much to say. I followed the pattern with no problems. No variations this time around but it’s a versatile pattern so I can see some future fun with it! I am still serger-less so this all came together on my sewing machine. I found that the stretch stitch worked nicely on this fabric (the lightening bolt-esque stitch). I used my pinking shears to trim the seam allowances but should you feel lazy, this is an unnecessary step.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this shirt! I made this on Thursday night and have been living in it since! It is already a permanent fixture in my bag as a quick layering piece for excessively air-conditioned buildings. I want more of these! Many, many more!
As always, I hate posing for pictures… my way of dealing with this is clearly to be a dork!
Back again soon with more from our favourite Indie Pattern Designers!
Follow me on Bloglovin’
After what feels like forever I finally have a new project to share! A bike skirt for Finnley!
This skirt ended up being a VERY time consuming project but it ended up being pretty adorable. My initial inspiration came from this skirt, although I took mine in a different direction and used a super bright colour palette. To make the actual skirt I used Dana`s simple skirt tutorial and appliqued bikes around the bottom of the skirt.
To make the applique I had my much more artistic husband free hand a stencil for me which I then painstakingly cut out of pink, orange, and lime green broadcloth. I then sewed around the bikes carefully, but please don`t look too carefully at my less than perfect stitches!
Pretty happy with how it turned out, but will try a much simpler applique next time!
Linked up at