Project Sewn – Washi Dress

Three posts in as many days!  I almost feel like apologizing!  However, it’s week 2 for Project Sewn, which means that I’m up (Bitty and I are alternating weeks to keep our budgets intact and our schedules manageable)!  The theme of this week is Sundresses.  I hesitated before I decided to participate as I made an unofficial “promise” to myself that I would only sew clothing that I am going to get a lot of wear out of and sundresses are not a usual part of my wardrobe.  Ultimately, I decided that the Washi dress of Made-By-Rae was the perfect compromise.  Comfortable and versatile enough that I am hoping I will wear it often!  Will have to wait and see.  However, I made this on Saturday and wore it to a birthday party on Sunday and to work today so that seems like a good start.  This is also the reason that it’s looking a little sad and rumpled in these photos.  Just keeping it real, peeps!

2013-05-15 15.35.28

With my Neon Sweater!

Alisha and I took these pictures on the rooftop garden at the Princess Margaret Hospital and there is not a lot of protection from the wind up there!  So apologies if the pictures are looking a little windblown!

2013-05-15 15.36.03

Now on to the dress details…  If you follow many sewing blogs then you will know that I am late to the party on this one!  You can find many fun and beautiful versions of this dress around.  I opted to make mine out of Michael Miller’s Garden Pindot in charcoal.  While this is lovely fabric and this pattern is meant to work well with quilting cotton, I wish I had chosen differently.  I really, really don’t like the stiff A-line created by this fabric so next time I will opt for a softer cotton.  I skipped the facings and did the fully lined bodice (Rae’s tutorial for this can be found here) using a plain while cotton voile.  I didn’t need to do this but I am not usually a big fan of facings.  I also altered the neckline by skipping the keyhole detail on the original pattern and by scooping it out a bit more.  While the scooped out neckline appeared to be fine at the muslin stage, I found it to be a bit problematic on the finished dress!  It gaped quite a bit when I was sitting down.  To solve this problem, I added a small pleat on both sides of the bodice.  This closed up the gape without taking away any of the necessary fullness in the bodice.  In the end, I quite liked this little detail!  To keep the pleats lying flat I also topstitched the neckline.

2013-05-15 15.36.33 2013-05-15 15.37.01

I lengthened the bodice by adding a full two inches below the darts and above the shirring lines in the back.  I prefer to have the pleats sitting at my natural waistline instead of right up under my bust!

I think that’s it!  I hope this will get a lot of wear!  I think I’ll call this one my Wash-i Away the Rain spring dress!

Sara

Follow me on Bloglovin’

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “Project Sewn – Washi Dress

  1. Cute….I love the change in the bodice, I like the pleats at the waist too, very beautiful silhouette! So far all I’ve ever sewn for myself is…a elastic waist skirt. Wah waaaaah…..need to step up my game!

    • Thanks! I think this dress is universally flattering! And I’m also happy with how the neckline turned out! An elastic waist skirt is a great place to start but if you wanted to move on then a washi is also a great next step. Good luck! Sara

  2. I’m glad your getting a chance to wear your dress. That was my biggest worry about this weeks challenge. I’m still not sure if I will ever wear my dress again, but I learned a bit while making it so it was worth it.

    • Only time will tell as I am not huge fan of dresses in every day life. I’m guessing it’s the same for you? Your dress is adorable (and the shoes!!!) so hopefully it’ll see daylight again 🙂

  3. Such a good job! I have also been eyeballing this washi dress, and you wear it very well. I especially like the subtle polka dotted fabric you chose. Lovely

    Mae

  4. Love this dress! I was thinking it wouldn’t suit me because of my shape, but you seem similar to me (sorry!) and it looks great on you so maybe it would. Your alterations were a brilliant idea. I had to do the same thing with the neck on a simple modern sewing top I made…I felt like I was cheating at the time, but quite like it now!

    • Thanks! And no need to apologize! I’m about as average as can be size-wise so I’d say that makes us like most women. As for the washi dress, I really do think it works on anyone! And I guess many of my modifications would be called “cheats” but I go with what I like (and what is easiest… I’m way too lazy to properly fit most things!). Next time I make this version of the washi I think I’ll just staystitch the neckline as I am fairly sure that was my problem this time around. Will be looking out for your version of the dress!

  5. Pingback: Project Sewn – Neon Staple Dress | hamiltonchicklets

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s