Awhile back I participated in Project Run and Play and this week marked week 1 of the sister project, Project Sewn. Project Sewn is an opportunity to shift from sewing clothes for my kids and take some time out to actually make something for myself. Sewing for kids is so much easier than sewing for myself. With kids if the fit is slightly off, more often than not it doesn’t really matter and they still look adorable. If the fit of my clothes are off, well it definitely doesn’t do me any favours. So needless to say it took me 3 tries to finally get this project right. First plan was to use this tutorial to make a pleated skirt. Somehow I managed to make knife pleats instead of box pleats and completely measured my waist wrong it ended up being way too small. For take 2 I decided to make a simple gathered skirt but this time I overcompensated and it was way too big. The worst part was a decided to put in my invisible zipper (my first one ever!) before I tried it on. Third time was the charm and I ended up with this highwaisted black and white striped skirt for the black and white theme.
Apparently I was thinking along the same lines as one of the blogger competitors, Jess from The Sewing Rabbit, although hers is much more impressive than mine! For my striped skirt I ended up using some upholstery fabric from Ikea. This fabric was much heavier than the normal cotton that I use and meant the skirt has alot of volume. Although I find the skirt to be fun I do think that it has a bit more volume than I would like and would be a bit more flattering if it had a bit less. Once I got the fit figured out on this skirt the actual construction process was quite easy.
The one extra that I did add was on some inseam pockets using a fun red print. I love me some pockets!
Black and white always looks good with a pop of colour and I had planned to make a Laurel using some red voile but I ran out of time. Will be one of my next projects and hopefully it looks how I hope it will with this skirt!
Linked up with the following: