So it is week three for Project Run and Play and this weeks theme is “It ‘s All In The Details”. Originally I had no intention of sewing along but contributing last week ended up being way more fun than I thought it would be. Since I am so new to sewing and don’t have experience with lots of the little details that can be added like piping or embroidery, I tried to think about what details I love on clothes. My first thought was buttons, I love buttons! So I started searching for ideas and found this tutorial for a pair of shorts by none other than Shwin and Shwin that used a pattern that I already had, the Nowwhere Man Pants. And that led to some adorable shorts for Finnley and Daxton!
I decided to use pieces from the original pattern and some of the details from the tutorial, combined with a few of my own ideas to use one pattern to make two different pairs of shorts. This ended up being a fun project because even though the details that make each pair of shorts different are not immediately obvious, it was my first time modifying a pattern and adding a little bit of myself.
For Dax’s shorts I decided to use some black and white seersucker that I already had in my rapidly growing stash. When I was shopping for fabric for my Chevron Sweetheart dress, I picked up a fat quarter of this to use for some contrast. I stuck with the curved pockets from the pattern to show more of the contrast fabric. I also used the contrast fabric to make button tabs for each leg to “hold up” a cuff. His shorts also feature a faux fly and an overlapping waistband. The final detail I added to his shorts was black piping on both the front and back pockets.
The one issue I had with Dax’s shorts was that when I sewed in the faux fly I didn’t sew along the original seam, which added extra fabric to the front of the shorts. Otherwise I am super happy with them!
For Finnley’s shorts I ended up going with a red stretch poplin with white accents. After my issues with the faux fly I skipped it on Finnley’s shorts but still added the overlapping waistband. For the front pockets I went with a straight pocket and added some white button tabs. For the back pockets I went for a faux pocket by adding some flaps with white top stitching and buttons to hold them down. I also added some button tabs to the bottom of her shorts and a cuffed hem.
The red fabric was picked to match her Lucy top (blogged about here). Looks adorable but hides some of the little details.
And one last picture.
This ended up being a fun project and resulted in some very practical and adorable shorts for my kiddos. Now I just need to decide what to make next!