All week I have been fighting the urge to sew for KCW and it has been a challenge to walk by the pile of fabric and patterns that I have all ready to cut, but instead I managed to get my outfit finished for the final week of Project Sewn. Originally Sara and I had planned on each sewing an outfit including Minoru, but Sara hasn’t quite finished hers yet. Hopefully she will have it on the blog soon! This week was signature style week and I honestly don’t think I really know what my signature style is. The last few years I have fallen into the mom rut and have not spent a lot of time or effort on what I wore. However, I am now working at a job that requires me to be dressed a bit more professionally which has forced me to start putting a little bit more thought into my clothes. For signature style week I decided to sew something that would work perfectly for fall and be appropriate for errands with the family but that I could also wear to work.
First up I sewed a new jacket for fall but that will also be perfect for spring. I used the Minoru pattern by Sewaholic and followed the sew-along that Tasia did when the pattern was first released. I am super happy with how the jacket turned out! I decided to go view A with the hood since I live in Vancouver and hoods get a lot of use in our rainy weather. The jacket came together surprisingly easy thanks to the sew-along and aside from a few silly sewing mistakes there were no real issues. I used a grey twill for the jacket and lined the body with some Robert Kaufmann flannel to make it a bit warmer and the sleeves with bemberg to make it easy to take on and off. I did make one change to the pattern and eliminated the pockets on the inside of the jacket and substituted them for inseam pockets using the tutorial Amy from Sew Well made.
I love the zipper pouch in the collar that lets you put the hood away. Such a great detail!
Since I have started dressing for my job I find myself wearing a lot of skirts and dresses, but I don’t have very many so I am constantly wearing the same ones each week. To add to my choices I finally made a Miette. I have had this pattern printed for quite a few months now with the red linen washed and ready to go, but only just got to it last week. The skirt came together easily and although I love it on everyone else (see Sara’s version here) I am not sure it is the best shape for me. I do like it and I am sure it will get lots of wear, just not sure I love it. What I really don’t like on me is the way the skirt should be tied with the bow in front and instead I have been wrapping it around tying it in the back.
And now to see how much of my KCW list I can get through in the next few nights!
And to end the post with my family having some fall fun with the leaves!